Wasa Ship Model
Common name: Vasa or Wasa
Vasa or Wasa is a retired Swedish warship built between 1626 and 1628. The ship foundered after sailing about 1,300 m (1,400 yd) into its maiden voyage on 10 August 1628.
However, It fell into obscurity after most of her valuable bronze cannons were salvaged in the 17th century. Finally, she was located again in the late 1950s in a busy shipping lane just outside the Stockholm harbor. Moreover, she was salvaged with a largely intact hull in 1961, it was housed in a temporary museum called Wasavarvet (‘The Wasa Shipyard’) until 1988. After that, she was moved permanently to the Vasa Museum in the Royal National City Park in Stockholm.
Wasa Ship is one of Sweden’s most popular tourist attractions and has been seen by over 35 million visitors since 1961. Since her recovery, Wasa Ship has become a widely recognized symbol of the Swedish ‘great power period. Firstly, the ship was built on the orders of the King of Sweden Gustavus Adolphus as part of the military expansion. Secondly, he initiated in a war with Poland-Lithuania (1621/1629) and armed with bronze cannons. However, Vasa was dangerously unstable and top-heavy with too much weight in the upper structure.