The WAPPEN VON HAMBURG was built in the Deichtor shipyard in Hamburg by a Dutch shipbuilding master. The construction work started in spring of 1667 when the keel was laid down. The wood work was finished in 1668. The armaments were installed, and the ship took up service in 1669.
The sculpture work was done under the guidance of master carver Christian Precht.