Queen Anne’s Revenge was an early-18th-century ship, most famously used as a flagship by the pirate Blackbeard (Edward Teach). Although the date and place of the ship’s construction are uncertain, it was believed she was built for merchant service in Bristol in 1710 and named Concord, later captured by French privateers and renamed La Concorde. This origin hypothesis was found to be incorrect and has been dismissed by the project crew. After several years’ service with the French (both as a naval frigate and as a merchant vessel – much of the time as a slave trading ship), she was captured by Blackbeard in 1717. Blackbeard used the ship for less than a year, but captured numerous prizes using her as his flagship.
In May 1718, Blackbeard ran the ship aground at Beaufort Inlet, North Carolina, in the present-day Carteret County. After the grounding, her crew and supplies were transferred to smaller ships. In 1996 Intersal, Inc., a private firm, discovered the remains of a vessel that was later determined to be Queen Anne’s Revenge, which was added to the U.S.