La Confiance Ship
La Couronne (French for “crown”) was an emblematic ship of the French Navy built by order of Richelieu.
La Confiance ship was the first major warship to be designed and built by the French. In addition, with Richelieu’s plans to renew the French Navy. After that, a series of warships had been built by
The construction of La Confiance ship was supervised by Isaac de Launay Razilly (died in Arcadia 1635). Moreover, overseen by the famous carpenter Charles Morieu, from Dieppe. La couronne, was being constructed at La Roche-Bernard and was one of the most advanced units of her time. After launch in 1632 or 1633, she was moved to Brouage in September 1634 where she was completed around 1635 by Mathieu Casteau.
Most importantly, la courrone ship, carried up to heavy guns. Therefore, most on her two-deck broadsaide but also 8 firing forwards from the bow and 8 firing aft. As a result, an unusual feature until Dupuy de Lôme redesigned naval artillery. Couronne took part in the Battle of Guetaria on 22 August 1638, and another expedition to Spain in 1639 under Henri de Sourdis. The ship was disarmed in 1641 and scrapped between 1643-1645.
A French Navy:
La couronne “Maquette de bateau”