HMY Royal Caroline Ship Model
Year: 29 January 1750
HMY Royal Caroline by John Cleveley
Builder: Deptford Dockyard
HMY Royal Caroline was a ship-rigged royal yacht. She was ordered in 1749 to replace HMY Carolina as Britain’s principal royal yacht.
However, the HMY Royal Carolin was built at Deptford Dockyard under the supervision of Master Shipwright John Hollond.
Most importantly, HMY Royal Carolin was design by Surveyor of the Navy Joseph Allin. Therefore, She was launched on 29 January 1750 and was broken up 70 years later, in 1820.
Royal Caroline was first commissioned under Captain Sir Charles Molloy. After that she was commanded until 1753.
Moreover, Captain Sir Piercy Brett took over in 1754, and in August 1761 she became the flagship of Admiral of the Fleet Lord Anson. After that, with Captain Peter Denis as his flag-captain.
Anson had orders to convey Duchess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz from Cuxhaven, Kiel to marry George III. Accompanying the yacht, renamed HMY Royal Charlotte in honour of the occasion, was a squadron of warships and four other royal yachts, HMY Mary, Katherine, Augusta and Fubbs. During the return voyage the squadron was three times blown over to the Norwegian coast by westerly gales and took ten days to reach Harwich, which it did on 6 September 1761.