HMS Victory Ship Models
Type: Ship model.
HMS Victory ship is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, ordered in 1758, laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765.
HMS Victory ship is best known for her role as Lord Nelson’s flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805.
She additionally served as Keppel’s flagship at Ushant, Howe’s flagship at Cape Spartel and Jervis’s flagship at Cape St Vincent.
However, in 1824, she was relegated to the role of harbour ship. In 1922, she was moved to a dry dock at Portsmouth, England, and preserved as a museum ship.
HMS Victory ship has been the flagship of the First Sea Lord since October 2012. Despite the world’s oldest naval ship still in commission, with 244 years’ service as of 2022.
During the 18th century, Victory was one of ten first-rate ships to be constructed. The outline plans were based on HMS Royal George which had been launched at Woolwich Dockyard in 1756.
However, the naval architect chosen to design the ship was Sir Thomas Slade who, at the time, was the Surveyor of the Navy. The Master Shipwright in charge of construction was Edward Allin, son of Sir Joseph Allin. Victory was commissioned (put on active duty) in March 1778 under Captain Sir John Lindsay. He held that position until May 1778, when Admiral Augustus Keppel made her his flagship. Keppel put to sea from Spithead on 9 July 1778 with a force of around twenty-nine ships of the line.