Bluenose ship was a fishing and racing gaff rig schooner built in 1921 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada.
A celebrated racing ship and fishing vessel. Bluenose under the command of Angus Walters, became a provincial icon for Nova Scotia.
An important Canadian symbol in the 1930s, serving as a working vessel until she was wrecked in 1946.
Nicknamed the “Queen of the North Atlantic“, she was later commemorated by a replica, Bluenose ship II. Built in 1963.
The name Bluenose ship originated as a nickname for Nova Scotians from as early as the late 18th century.
William James Roué built the yacht to be used for both fishing and racing.
Roué’s original design, which was meant to compete with American schooners for speed.
However, had a waterline length of 36.6 metres (120 ft 1 in).
Which was 2.4 metres (7 ft 10 in) too long for the competition.
After being requested to modify the schooner, Roué submitted a revised design.
The agreed-upon change relocated the inner ballast on top of the keel to maintain it as low as possible.
Enhancing the overall speed of the vessel. Another alteration was made to the modified design during construction.
The bow was raised by 0.5 meters to make more room in the forecastle (1 ft 8 in).